It’s been a while since I posted so I apologize , life just got busy I guess with my 30th birthday :S and our trip to California I have kind of fallen off…but here I am ready to share my dinner tonight!! It is currently in the oven and I can’t wait for it to finish!!
Here is an easy fish dinner….you can use anything for this…I used rainbow trout, but you could use sole, mahi mahi, halibut, salmon, etc…you can also switch out the fresh herbs for whatever you have on hand!
Quick and Easy Fish Dinner
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 large fresh basil leaves
- 1-1/2 pounds of whatever fish fillets you prefer (I used rainbow trout)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium lemon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs (you could use rosemary or other if you like)
- In a nonstick skillet, saute leeks and garlic in oil until tender; set aside. Coat a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange basil in a single layer in dish; top with fish fillets. Sprinkle with salt. Top with leek mixture.
- Arrange tomatoes over fish. Thinly slice half of the lemon; place over the top. Squeeze juice from remaining lemon over all. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Cover and bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Garnish with thyme
Fresh Ontario Blueberries are one of my favorite things about summertime 🙂 They just make me so happy! I find that they satisfy my sweet tooth and I don’t feel guilty since they are filled with anti-oxidants and other benefits I mentioned here.
Tonight I was doing some meal prep for the week and noticed I had wayyy too many blueberries, so I thought I would make some healthy muffins for breaky or to grab as an on the go snack.
Here they are:
Lemon Zest Blueberry Muffins:
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 Scoop of protein powder (I use Perfect Fit Protein)
1 cup fresh blueberries
3 eggs (room temperature is best)
2 tbs coconut oil (make sure you melt this beforehand otherwise it will not mix properly)
3 Tbs lemon zest
1 Tbs lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
Preheat oven to 400° degrees. Mix wet ingredients (eggs, coconut oil, lemon juice & zest) in a small bowl (I used the magic bullet to really make sure everything was mixed). In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients (protein powder, coconut flour, baking powder and salt) and mix thoroughly.
Next, combine dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until there are no clumps.
Fold blueberries into batter right before pouring into sprayed muffin tins. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until center is cooked.
Makes 6 muffins! I doubled the recipe and plan to freeze the muffins for next weekend at the cottage!
If you make the muffins leave me a note and let me know how they were 🙂 I’d love to hear from you!
Who else loves lemon water? I am a water fanatic – just ask my Husband! He is always complaining that I drink all my water and then his! I literally guzzle it down and I love it! BUT, I know a lot of people have a hard time getting enough water in their diets.
So, how much water should you be drinking? A lot of research I have looked into recommend half of your body weight in ounces. For example: If you are 140lbs then you should be ingesting 70 ounces of water per day (8 3/4 glasses of an 8oz cup per day).
The reason I wanted to focus on lemon water is that; It helps you drink more if you are not a huge plain boring water fan; and the health benefits associated with it of course. Lemons are packed with natural vitamins and minerals that a key to your inner and outer beauty and health.
I believe that lemon and water go together like PB&J. Some people feel that you should drink warm lemon water for more benefits, but I like the cold stuff – up to you!
Here are a few reasons you should reach for a glass of lemon water today:
- Boosts you’re immune system – lemons are high in vitamin C (great for fighting colds) and potassium (stimulates brain & nerve function and helps control blood pressure)
- They’re cleansing – the citric acid in lemons helps maximize enzyme functions, which helps the liver and aids in detoxification.
- Balances pH – lemons are an alkaline food – although you wouldn’t think it due to their acidity. Once the body has metabolized the citric acid it does not create acidity.
- Can help with weight loss – Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which can help fight hunger cravings. Going with the above point it has been shown that people who maintain a more alkaline diet lose weight faster.
- Aids in digestion – If you drink warm lemon water it serves to stimulate the gastrointestinal tract and peristalsis (the waves of muscle contractions within the intestines that keep things moving). This helps relieve indigestion and constipation and will flush you out. The minerals and vitamins in lemon will help loosen toxins in the digestive tract.
- It’s a natural diuretic – Lemon will help flush out unwanted materials because lemons increase the rate of urination in the body. Toxins are released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy!
- Clears your skin – The vitamin C helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes as it assists in the production of collagen. Lemon water pulls the toxins from the blood which helps clear skin.
- Cleanses your liver – if you enjoy alcoholic beverages like I do then this is a major benefit! It has been noted that the liver can make more enzymes out of lemon juice than any other food, which can help give the organ a boost!vi
Alright everyone…go make yourself a pitcher of refreshing lemon water – I know I will! And, watch for a post coming with my favorite lemonade made with REAL lemons! 🙂