Who else loves lemon water? I am a water fanatic – just ask my Husband! He is always complaining that I drink all my water and then his! I literally guzzle it down and I love it! BUT, I know a lot of people have a hard time getting enough water in their diets.
So, how much water should you be drinking? A lot of research I have looked into recommend half of your body weight in ounces. For example: If you are 140lbs then you should be ingesting 70 ounces of water per day (8 3/4 glasses of an 8oz cup per day).
The reason I wanted to focus on lemon water is that; It helps you drink more if you are not a huge plain boring water fan; and the health benefits associated with it of course. Lemons are packed with natural vitamins and minerals that a key to your inner and outer beauty and health.
I believe that lemon and water go together like PB&J. Some people feel that you should drink warm lemon water for more benefits, but I like the cold stuff – up to you!
- Boosts you’re immune system – lemons are high in vitamin C (great for fighting colds) and potassium (stimulates brain & nerve function and helps control blood pressure)
- They’re cleansing – the citric acid in lemons helps maximize enzyme functions, which helps the liver and aids in detoxification.
- Balances pH – lemons are an alkaline food – although you wouldn’t think it due to their acidity. Once the body has metabolized the citric acid it does not create acidity.
- Can help with weight loss – Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which can help fight hunger cravings. Going with the above point it has been shown that people who maintain a more alkaline diet lose weight faster.
- Aids in digestion – If you drink warm lemon water it serves to stimulate the gastrointestinal tract and peristalsis (the waves of muscle contractions within the intestines that keep things moving). This helps relieve indigestion and constipation and will flush you out. The minerals and vitamins in lemon will help loosen toxins in the digestive tract.
- It’s a natural diuretic – Lemon will help flush out unwanted materials because lemons increase the rate of urination in the body. Toxins are released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy!
- Clears your skin – The vitamin C helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes as it assists in the production of collagen. Lemon water pulls the toxins from the blood which helps clear skin.
- Cleanses your liver – if you enjoy alcoholic beverages like I do then this is a major benefit! It has been noted that the liver can make more enzymes out of lemon juice than any other food, which can help give the organ a boost!vi
Alright everyone…go make yourself a pitcher of refreshing lemon water – I know I will! And, watch for a post coming with my favorite lemonade made with REAL lemons! 🙂